Resource consent


What Is A Resource Consent?

A resource consent is required if your proposal does not comply with one or more of the ‘permitted activity’ rules in the Hastings District Plan.

The District Plan divides activities into categories which determine:

Any proposed activity or structure requires a land-use and/or subdivision consent unless it is a permitted activity and fully complies with all the relevant rules in the District Plan – then you may wish to apply for a Certificate of Compliance.

If more than one resource consent is required for your development, you are encouraged to lodge all applications at the same time with the Council and/or relevant consent authority such as the Hawke’s Bay Regional Council. This is known as a joint application.

The advantage of making a joint application is that all aspects of the development and the effects on the environment can be considered in an integrated manner by the respective authorities, with savings in time and money for all concerned.

You, or someone representing you – for example, your builder, surveyor, architect or planning consultant – must complete a resource consent application form and a pre-lodgement checklist, which identifies the information that is required to be submitted with your application.

It is courteous to consult your neighbours before starting any construction work, but you are not legally bound unless your project requires a resource consent and the Council considers your neighbours as an affected party.

Lodging The Application

Once your application has successfully passed the pre-lodgement assessment it will be lodged for technical review. You will receive a letter confirming that your application has been lodged. The processing clock starts at this point.

*Consent holders have five years to complete the works associated with the consent. If the approved works are not completed within that timeframe, the consent lapses. Once the works are completed, the consent lasts for an unlimited period, unless a specified period is stated in the consent.

You will get a letter in the mail telling you whether your application has been approved or declined.